No matter your opinion on popups, there is no arguing the fact that they are effective for capturing and generating leads—but only if you use them smartly.
Here are some useful marketing tips when it comes to website popups.
1. Choose Your Popup's Goal
Before creating any promotional content, you need to first choose your goal: Collect Leads or Promote and Drive Traffic to Content or Sales pages within or outside of your site.
- Do you want more subscribers?
- Do you want to send visitors to a specific page or sale on your site?
- Do you want to send all new visitors to a registration page?
2. Give Something Away for Free
Users are much more likely to click and engage with your CTA popup if they are provided something valuable in return. A few good examples of things to offer are the following:
- Free Consultations
- White Papers
- Limited-Time Offers
- so much more!
3. Create Custom Messages per Segment
Not all visitors are created equally and therefore should not receive the same messages.
- eCommerce site owners can choose to show specific products based on geography. For example, showing promotions on winter-wear to visitors located in warmer climates.
- Marketers can promote events to visitors from a certain location.
4. Create Triggers Based on Behavior
A popup trigger controls when your popup CTA will appear, and can be set in relation to the actions a customer takes on your site.
For example, if an end user scrolls, lands on a specific page, stays on a page for a certain length of time or attempts to exit your site, you can show a popup asking them to take further action.
5. Make it Mobile-Friendly
It’s too big to ignore. According to StatCounter, Mobile devices now account for as much as 50% of the total web traffic. It’s important to work with an editing platform that allows you to easily create mobile popups.
While it’s important to have an overall strategy for your pop ups, understanding the best ways to use and control them can help you improve your conversions with your customers.